Saturday, June 21, 2008

May Publishers View Point





In April I had my first opportunity to attend the IAPA Health and Safety Trade Show in Toronto at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre April 21st and 22nd. This was a different venue then I would normally attend such as Construct Canada with contractors and service providers to the construction industry, but I found the whole experience to be worthwhile.

The Health and Safety Show offered many different types of exhibitors to help make construction work a safer job. Exhibitors from WSIB to Acklands Grainger showed a wide spectrum of equipment, accessories and awareness. I was impressed with the traffic flow of people through the show and the diversity of those attending from contractors, developers and safety committee members even from Kraft Canada.

Like all trade shows and events I attend the first question I got in our weekly marketing call was, “What is the value we got from attending?” As with most shows I came away with leads from across Ontario, Canada and even North Carolina. Some of the leads were for advertising, news coverage and feature articles. I have set an internal target to generate a certain amount of revenue that should be easily obtained to warrant us attending again in 2009.

The biggest thing I worked on while at the show was increasing brand awareness of the Construction News and Report Group. A few people asked me why I would be there and I simply answered, “The show is about creating awareness and a safer construction site, our readers are the ones who work on the sites.”

With all the attention WSIB has raised this year with their provocative ads and the feedback from all the associations functions staff across the province have attended we have now made Health and Safety a regular theme in our schedule each year. I will also be working on setting up a regularly occurring Health and Safety Column and for this to work I will be looking for sponsors and contributors of stories and guest columns. If you have an idea to share or would like to sponsor the column please send me an email.

No comments: