Tuesday, June 24, 2008

School is out for summer...

Today was the last day of the school year for my oldest son and in celebration we started the summer off with a campfire in our back yard. It was a good day and nice way to end the evening sitting outside with the family roasting marhmallows.

This morning I attended my sons final school assembly where he was presented with the Citizenship award for his grade one class. The award is given to the student who serves not only his best interests but the interest of his class in creating a great environment for learning. His teacher said that Ethan got along well with all in his class, was a great listener and supportted others ideas. He was great member of his community.

The explanation of what my son had done made me proud. I stepped back for a second and thought, how can I be a great member of my community? Well after getting word this afternoon we are now officially new members of the Niagara Construction Association I asked if I could join the membership community. Joining the association is supported through my employer Mark Buckshon, but taking active roles has never been part of the job description.

I figure I can use my experience of being a member of several asscociations from Niagara to Barrie and interaction with several provincial associations to share some successful strategies I have seen used in other regions. At the same time looking to market the group of newspapers I represent and building new relationships with members of the industry who I profile on a monthly basis is also another positive for becoming involved.

With the summer season here I do not expect my first meeting with the committee to be anytime before September, but I will start keeping track of my ideas. I recommend that you also look at not only joining a local construction association, but also becoming very active with the members. I think the saying is, "It is not what you know that counts the most, it is who you know."

If you want to share your stories on becoming an active member of an association send me an email at chasemarketing@sympatico.ca and tell me about the good and the bad.

1 comment:

Construction Marketing Ideas said...

Chase, congratulations to Ethan for receiving this class recognition -- and to you for going beyond the superficial to connect with the local associations.