Monday, August 18, 2008

Sometimes the universe lines up...


Sometimes the universe lines up and a whole bunch of good intentions or kind gestures get noticed. Events or ideas you sent in motion suddenly collide in the best type of situation where you get to showcase yourself and the company you work for.


Last Thursday I was at the Niagara Construction Association (NCA) Golf Tournament dinner and was enjoying a wonderful meal at the Legends of Niagara Golf Course Club House. As the meal was about to start the association did its updates and thanks to this years sponsors of which we the Construction News and Media Group was a media sponsor. As a member of the association my involvement as a sponsor was to help to promote the event and at the same time do some valuable "Brand Marketing' without asking for any sales in return.


As part of the dinner the NCA was also doing a $5000 cheque presentation to Niagara Health System (NHS) for the new project under way in Niagara. Betty Lou (sorry I missed you last name) accepted the cheque with Bill Hallett the CEO of Niagara Health System Foundation. Betty Lou went on to discuss the project, the generous donation of the NCA and its members and then somewhat surprised me by recognizng the advertising space I had offered to the NHS to help with the fundraising. Not one other member was signled out and I had to stand up the second time Betty Lou said thanks to hear a nice round of applause from the association.


As a new member to the association this endorsement from the NHS will go a long way in helping introduce me to members for news coverage and working with them on feature articles. We were not the only media sponsor at the event but I set ourselves to stand out by:


- Being a member of the association

- Volunteering to help out with the tournament

- Set up interviews with members for news coverage

- donated a prize for the event

- demonstrated my interest in being involved with the community


Sometimes the best way to sell yourself or service is by not doing any sales at all. I like my job!






No comments: