Saturday, November 22, 2008

New Company Vehicle?




I recently contacted a local design company that prepares vehicle wraps to see if they could do one for my company dump truck. Imagine their surprise when it was a Tonka dump truck.
The idea came from another company display at the Green Building Summit earlier this year in Toronto, but I liked the novelty. What was the pricing for the project, well initially it was vague they charged usually by the foot, but in this case it would be for the materials and a per hour charge.
On Tuesday I got a call that the project was ready for pick up then when I called it was not done. The original plan of doing a wrap in red with the decals added did not work out. So plan B was to powder coat the dump truck and apply the vehicle. The paint did not take well since the original coat was yellow so they had to do several coats.
Now I got my bill for the final product and lets say I paid more then I expected. It seems that I ended up paying for the companies trial and error of completing the project. Imagine a someone installing tile then ripping it up half way because the way they thought it would work didn't, then they charge you twice the time to complete the project. This is where my frustration lay. Now this was a first of its kind project for them and they and I felt confident they could do it. They learned from it and now I bet they could easily complete a similar project in half the time and half of the materials.
The problems with the finished product and process are as follows:
Wrap they used at the front on the cab was pieced together.
The paint job was not powder coated, it was spray painted.
No primer was used to cover the yellow.
The red paint dried pooled in some areas, has run marks and is not even.
Now my wife had picked this up and paid the full bill. If I had been smart I would have went and picked it up personally to have the conversation I ended up penning in an email. The summary of my email was basically would they be proud to use this as a marketing tool at the rate they charged me. I am waiting to see how they respond to my email and see how well they handle it from a customer service side. Do I owe them for the project yes, the only thing I question is, did I get what I paid for.
I have not named this company, but if they handle it well I will happily promote them and recommend them for working to make the customer satisfied.
Stay tuned.

No comments: