Thursday, June 4, 2009

Publishers Viewpoint June 2009


It is hard to believe I am already planning my editorial coverage for August and September and we have just entered into the start of June. The one thing about working in the publishing business is you are often forced to plan well ahead of time and sometimes you miss what is happening right around you.

This summer I plan to take in as much as possible and my construction social calendar is filling up fast. First up is a trip to Barrie for the Barrie Construction Associations Golf Tournament on June 5th. This year as a Director for the association I find myself attending more events and trying to meet new people. Next up is the Niagara Construction Associations (NCA) Members Day Event on June 17th; the event is a great BBQ lunch which allows members to connect after a long winter season. The last big event I will be attending this summer is their Annual Golf Tournament where we are sponsoring two holes this year. The event takes place on August 19th at Legends of Niagara. The NCA has taken great strides the past year in providing more value to its members with the introduction of the Christmas Luncheon – Food Drive for Community Care in December, the launch of the Annual Awards Dinner in February. More events are planned and I will keep you posted as the summer progresses.

Last up for me this month is exploration into membership of some new local associations and weighing the benefits of remaining a member of others. Like many companies we are evaluating our marketing spending to ensure we get the most out of it. Our marketing dollars goes towards memberships of the local construction associations where we provide news coverage. In a way I will be evaluating the associations much like you would when you look at where to spend money on sponsorship or advertising, I need to see what the return on investment is. I will have to make my mind up by October and our annual planning session on what to do, idly enough October is the month I have read a lot of articles about where the economy is supposed to recover, stay tuned.

Chase is the Director of Marketing and Client Relations for the Construction News and Report Group as well as the Associate Publisher for the GTA Construction Report and Ontario Construction Report. Chase also serves on the Board of Directors for the Barrie Construction Association and on several committees for the Niagara Home Builders and Construction Associations. If you have any recommendations or suggestions on changes you would like to make for the papers please contact him toll free at 1-888-432-3555 ext 211 or email him mailto:chasemarketing@sympatico.ca or visit us online at http://www.cnrgp.com/

No comments: