Monday, March 29, 2010

Social networks - sharing everything even with your clients!


Today I had a call with a client who laughed when I spoke about the my use of facebook during work hours. I said I had it on most of the day to get updates from existing clients and in some cases to even get messages. Turns out he uses it for the same thing.


facebook, Linked In and twitter to name a few have started to cross the lines of social networking vs. business networking. Are any solely used for one purpose or the other? The lines have blurred and so has the rules for using these.


Three years ago a potential employee had added me on facebook after her interview and the status updates started to follow, such as "Out late last night, hungover can't go to work." Other times this person would post photos of herself drinking or using some other types of recreational drugs. Long story short I did not end up hiring her, she told me that her personal life should not have affected my decision, without facebook it would not have.


Now since I have used facebook for personal reasons and crossed over to also include clients I make sure that what I share with them online is the same as if I was in front of them.


Now in some cases I have I found similar interests with clients from groups I have joined or even applications, these have allowed for further development of a relationship, none though are as effective as a face to face meeting. But I have foudn the face to face meetings to be a lot easier since we have established common ground well ahead of time with my recent harvest of crops on Farmville.


Have social networks and online business networking sites started to become blurred for you? What have you learned or seen happen to others that forget that social networks are just the same as an open window in your home?

1 comment:

Allan E. said...

Interesting read and clears up some of my questions regarding Facebook. It is a networking tool for sure and I see it used socially and in volunteer work more and more, it didn't occur to me it would do as a business network and would like to see more on the subject. Thanks.