Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Who is Cathy Latimer?

I came across a posting in the local St. Catharines paper in the "Letters to the Editor" section that caught my interest.

As a member of the Board of the Barrie Construction Association we are dealing with the same issue that Cathy brigs up below about out of town contractors winning locla jobs. In Barrie we have started to get dialogue going with the city and inviting them to speak at events. The long term goal is to make it so local contractors can have a leg up for public tax supported projects.

Now I am trying to find who Cathy Latimer is and encourage here to get in touch with the Niagara Construction Association so they may take up the challenge. I have sent her posting to the General Manager of the Niagara Construction Association, who has then sent it on to her board. I will keep you posted if we find out who Cathy is and more importantly what the NCA does to help the next person who raises the issue and asks for help.

No support for local construction firms

As an employee of a local Niagara construction firm, I am outraged and appalled that many of our local construction projects are being awarded to out-of-town firms. Case in point, Bondfield Construction (Toronto) has secured at least three recent projects in St. Catharines (with area contractors bidding). The Standard then reports that city council recommends the out-of- town contractor use local forces -- it won't. Who pays the taxes for these projects? I do. Now I look forward to becoming one more person on the unemployment line because my city will not stand behind our local contractors and workforces. Shame on you St. Catharines and Niagara Region. Our community was once mine to enjoy. Now it is mine to watch die

Cathy Latimer

No comments: