Friday, May 16, 2008

"Show me the Value!" "Show me the Value Jerry!" - Tracking Value for your client part 2

Okay the the statement should really say 'Show me the money!" but for the first step to helping my client track value for his advertising dollars this helps get the point across.


In the world of print advertising the impact of a visual ad is the impression it leaves with the viewer. Nine times out of 10 unless someone is looking for or considering the product is goes almost unnoticed. The key with branding in print advertising is repeat impressions to potential customers, but what gets lost in that is playing the old game, "One of these do not belong!" What I mean by this is updating your ad or changing your message so people notice the changes. The best example of this I can give you is the Doritos commercials that started airng last year where they were promoting a new Sweet Chili flavour of chips thatr had 3 sides to them (Doristos or shaped liked trianagles) and each time the commercial aired and the guy walking along a path came across a bear he would he the chip froma different side and the ending of the commercial would always be different. If someone from Doritos is reading this you can send me a free case!


This month I have updated my clients ad to include a special/exclusive 'Promotion Code" for our readers to mention when they book their stays so the client can track results. The next step for mewill be to promote this to our subscribers through an email newsletter letting them know of the exclusive promotion our client is offering to our readers. Now the other change I have proposed to my customer is adding colour to his ad which has been running in black and white for the past year. To help get the impact across of the difference between the two ads I had my designed send them side by side on a new proof sheet. Of course adding colour has a higher cost but it need not run like this each month to help change the ad up so people take notice of the changes.



I have inlcuded the ad here for you to review and I ask you let me know which you prefer as well as letting me know if you think the added cost of colour is wirth it. I will update you with my clients thoughts as well as yours next week. I will also speak of the next step in helping my client track value in this multi branding exercise.

No comments: